Vintage swing dancing in Charlottesville, VA.
Wednesdays 7-9pm, $10 entry
@The Front Porch on the DT Mall
221 E Water St, Charlottesville, VA 22902
SwingCville is a Charlottesville community dedicated to vintage swing dancing. We dance and teach the Lindy Hop, Charleston, Balboa, and Blues. We are proudly volunteer-run by people with big hearts and a passion for dance.
Come join us every Wednesday for a lesson from 7-8pm and social dancing from 8-9pm. Please arrive 15 minutes before class to sign in. Stay afterwards to go out for snacks and drinks with friendly people from around town. The first Wed. of every month is a beginner class.
Swing dance is about supportive community and the celebration of individuality. We celebrate and welcome everyone at our dances.
What is Lindy Hop: A swing dance that started in the late 20s/early 30s. Black American dancers from Harlem, NY created Lindy Hop in response to swing music.
Do I need a partner? You do not need to bring a partner as we rotate partners throughout the night.
What do I wear? Wear comfortable clothes and flat-soled shoes. Some people wear dressy casual and some wear t-shirts and jeans. Shoes with smooth leather or suede bottoms are great but anything comfortable will be fine to start in!
Tell me about the social dance. Our DJs play music. Dancers ask each other if they would like to dance. After each song, dancers thank each other and ask a different partner to dance.
As of 4/12/2023, all participants must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination with at least one booster OR a negative COVID-19 test rapid test on the night of the dance.
Option 1: COVID 19 vaccination with at least one booster
- Submit your proof of COVID-19 vaccination to SwingCville by either 1) showing your vax card to the front desk volunteer at check-in, 2) showing a picture of your vax card to the front desk volunteer at check-in, 3) or emailing a picture of your vax card to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You only need to submit your proof of vaccination once.
Option 2: Negative Rapid Test:
- Take an at home COVID-19 antigen test (BinaxNOW, Ellume, etc.) within six hours of the start of the dance.
- Submit your proof of a negative test to SwingCville by either 1) showing the test to the front desk volunteer at check-in, 2) showing a picture of the test to the front desk volunteer at check-in, 3) or emailing a picture of the test to email@example.com.
- A new test will be required every time you attend a regular SwingCville Wednesday dance.